Unbox Junkie Evaluates the Aeon (AR120WH2) Matte White Fixed-Frame Projection Screen
Popular YouTube Channel Host Evaluates Elite’s Latest Concept in Projection Screens that Features an Aesthetically Pleasing EdgeFree® Design
- Product: Aeon (AR120WH2) Matte white fixed-frame projection screen
- Projector: Xiaomi Mija (UST) Laser Projector
- Reviewer: Matt, Unbox Junkie
Recently, Unbox Junkie gave a superb and well-deserved review to another screen maker’s brand and it inspired us to reach out with a great idea. We approached Matt, Unbox Junkie’s host, to see if there would be an interest in showcasing a projection screen style that has been outstripping other projection screens due to its innovative design and aesthetically pleasing appearance. Matt was intrigued about taking the projection screen to the proverbial “next-level” and we were pleased to show viewers that there are many good options out there to choose from.
The Aeon is a fixed-frame projection screen that features an internal framework with wraparound material. This maximizes the projection space to the overall footprint while giving the appearance of a larger-than-life flat panel display. This design has earned the name “EdgeFree®” because the traditional border framework is not there. Instead, the projection surface matches the product’s overall footprint. The screen comes with a choice of CineWhite® (matte-white); CineGrey 3D® (enhanced ambient & ceiling light rejecting or ALR/CLR®); CineGrey (matte-gray); or Acoustic Pro UHD (UHD Acoustically Transparent “AT” material). Other variants include a pure CLR® material for ultra short throw projectors as well as an enhanced CineGrey 5D® material.
Projector Used in the Evaluation: Xiaomi Mija (UST) Laser Projector
About the Aeon Series (AR120WH2) – Aeon 120” (16:9) with matte white material
The Aeon Series is a fixed frame projection screen that uses Elite’s EDGE FREE® technology. The EDGE FREE® design resembles a giant size flat panel TV display. The Aeon includes an ultra-thin trim kit as an installation option to further enhance the overall appearance. This product features a matte white 1.1 gain projection material. This CineWhite® material has broad light dispersion through diffusion uniformity, black & white contrast and true color rendition. This product is recommended for rooms with controlled lighting. Works with Standard, Ultra/Short-throw 1080P/4K projectors. It is also suitable for standard “long-throw”, Short-throw, and Ultra-Short-Throw Projectors.
The Following Observations Were Made
- Aeon is an upgrade – Unlike traditional fixed frame projection screens, the Aeon has a better and more functional design. It physically looks better than the traditional fixed projection screens and has the option of an LED backlighting kit.
- The Aeon was easier to build – The design has a framework that is easy to assemble. This variant has a Velcro attachment. A fold-and-stick approach is a lot easier to attach the material to the frame than the other versions involving a more complex process.
- The side bezel – This narrow metal bezel kit lines the sides of the screen giving it a cleaner appearance while providing added protection to the material. Each segment is self-adhesive and attach in seconds.
- The Image is stunning – The video shows that the screen has superior diffusion uniformity and looks excellent with a projected image on it.
- The LED Light Kit gives the screen a second purpose – When the projector is not in use, the LED kit turns the screen in to a mood-lighting panel. Rather than have a big cold-spot on the wall when the projector is not in use, the light kit transforms the screen into a stylish source of environmental light. This is something seen in high-end interior design and can look great in your home.
As projector prices continue to drop, projector performance continues to rise disproportionately in the consumer’s favor. While some people who have entry-level 480 resolution projectors can’t imagine why drywall or a bedsheet doesn’t make a worthy projection surface; those same “low-end” projectors are becoming 1080p and will soon cross over into the realm of 4K. When dealing with these heightened levels of performance, it becomes apparent why professionally engineered projection surfaces are so important. Screens like Elite’s Aeon have arrived to usher the next generation of AV enthusiasts and it’s really fun to have a front-row seat in watching that happen.